Home Forums WoodMart support forum Couple of problems with new install

Couple of problems with new install

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

1. Here is how it looks for us at the moment. Is it wrong?

https://gyazo.com/d65c5d5e789d012388221bd67cd08ccd
    https://gyazo.com/297514645ad796624cb3134850a9e740

2. Could you please provide us your FTP access so we can check why it doesn’t work?

Regards

mjwilson
    Participant

#1 – Both sign up blocks look fine now. Did you change something? When I last wrote you they were still screwed up, so I don’t know how they got fixed?

#2 – I already provided ftp access earlier in this post. I guess I can provide it again. Why do you need ftp access and not access to the website itself? I will send you both. The code you sent us has been added to the child theme. That is when whatever was working, stopped working!

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

1. No, we didn’t change anything.

2. Could you please check how it works now?

mjwilson
    Participant

#2 – Yeah! The dates are showing!

How did you do it? I might need to know so I can use it on our other site, since that doesn’t show the years either (didn’t need it so desperately on the other site though.)

New/old issue: That Pinterest button still isn’t showing correctly on the single blog posts. It just shows a little p now, when it should be bigger.

You said it was because of a plug in, but I have deactivated every plug in and it didn’t change anything. I didn’t deactivate any that came with the theme though.

It’s not that big of a deal, but I don’t know why it worked before and doesn’t now.

Thanks for all your help.

Mj

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

#2. We changed a few lines in the code we sent you initially and now it should work.

As for the Pinterest, we still think that it is some plugin or widget issue. Try to remove the Pinterest widget from your page and check.

mjwilson
    Participant

#2 – Can you send me that new block of code, or can I just pull it from the CSS area?

Pinterest logo – I already did “deactivate” it, in the theme settings, and added it back, and it does the same thing. I haven’t added any widgets, and I already deactivated all the plugins, except for the ones that came with the theme.

The pinterest icon looks fine, on my other site, so I don’t know what the issue is? Other than I have noticed that if you use different “demo” pages, to set up your site, you get different issues/problems, because we experienced different issues on this site vs the first one we created with Woodmart.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Here is a final code

function woodmart_post_meta( $atts = array() ) {
    	extract(shortcode_atts(array(
    		'author'     => 1,
    		'author_ava' => 0,
    		'date'     => 1,
    		'cats'     => 0,
    		'tags'     => 0,
    		'labels'   => 0,
    		'short_labels' => false,
    		'edit'     => 1,
    		'comments' => 1,
    		'limit_cats' => 0
    	), $atts));
    	?>
    		<ul class="entry-meta-list">
    			<?php if( get_post_type() === 'post' ): ?>

<?php // Is sticky ?>

<?php if( is_sticky() ): ?>
    					<li class="meta-featured-post"><?php esc_html_e( 'Featured', 'woodmart' ) ?></li>
    				<?php endif; ?>

<?php // Author ?>
    				<?php if ($author == 1): ?>
    					<li class="meta-author">
    						<?php if ( $labels == 1 && ! $short_labels ): ?>
    							<?php esc_html_e('Posted by', 'woodmart'); ?>
    						<?php elseif($labels == 1 && $short_labels): ?>
    							<?php esc_html_e('By', 'woodmart'); ?>
    						<?php endif; ?>
    						<?php if ( $author_ava == 1 ): ?>
    							<?php echo get_avatar( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ), 32 ); ?>
    						<?php endif; ?>
    						<a href="<?php echo esc_url( get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ) ) ); ?>" rel="author"><?php echo get_the_author(); ?></a>
    					</li>
    				<?php endif ?>
    				<?php // Date ?>
    				<li class="meta-date"><?php echo get_the_date(); ?></li>
    				<?php // Categories ?>
    				<?php if(get_the_category_list( ', ' ) && $cats == 1): ?>
    					<li class="meta-categories"><?php echo get_the_category_list( ', ' ); ?></li>
    				<?php endif; ?>
    				<?php // Tags ?>
    				<?php if(get_the_tag_list( '', ', ' ) && $tags == 1): ?>
    					<li class="meta-tags"><?php echo get_the_tag_list( '', ', ' ); ?></li>
    				<?php endif; ?>
    				<?php // Comments ?>
    				<?php if( $comments && comments_open() ): ?>
    					<li><span class="meta-reply">
    						<?php 
    							$comment_link_template = '<span class="comments-count">%s</span> <span class="comments-count-label">%s</span>';
    						 ?>
    						<?php comments_popup_link( 
    							sprintf( $comment_link_template, '0', esc_html__( 'comments', 'woodmart' ) ),
    							sprintf( $comment_link_template, '1', esc_html__( 'comment', 'woodmart' ) ),
    							sprintf( $comment_link_template, '%', esc_html__( 'comments', 'woodmart' ) )
    						); ?>
    					</span></li>
    				<?php endif; ?>
    				<?php // Edit link ?>
    				<?php if( is_user_logged_in() && $edit == 1 ): ?>
    					<!--li><?php edit_post_link( esc_html__( 'Edit', 'woodmart' ), '<span class="edit-link">', '</span>' ); ?></li-->
    				<?php endif; ?>
    			<?php endif; ?>
    		</ul>
    	<?php
    }

We meant this widget https://gyazo.com/4214a6a77b4b7a2851d4ca4fb8abf905 try to remove it.

mjwilson
    Participant

Thanks for the code!

Ah…I didn’t see you had mentioned to remove the Pinterest widget. I was looking at plugins because that’s what you had said earlier.

I removed the widget and it brought the “P” back.

But, what if I want a Pinterest widget?! Do I just need to find a different plug in or code to use?

Thank you for all your help.

MJ

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

We don’t know why, but that widget shouldn’t do any changes with other elements on the page. Try to use some other plugins or widgets for this purpose.

mjwilson
    Participant

So…I went and looked and couldn’t find a good plug in for Pinterest, but turns out the code I had in the widget came directly from Pinterest!

I generated new code from them, and entered that in the widget area, and that small “p” stopped showing again.

What is weird about this is:

#1 – We have Woodmart running on two different sites (as you know) and the Pinterest button is not having any problems on the other site, but on this site it is! I really think “problems” come from which demo you start out with, as there have been different problems for each site.

#2 – If the Pinterest code itself is breaking something else (Pinterest related) then my only choice is to not have that Pinterest button show under posts. We do have a large Pinterest feed, so I would rather have that feed widget show in the sidebar, then to worry about the Pinterest logo showing correctly in an icon!

Thanks.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Could you please send us a link where this button works well? And also enable it on your current website so we can compare them.

mjwilson
    Participant

Ok. Info below.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But it looks fine on your live website https://gyazo.com/a071fa11af360af7470b083106c8503b

Try to add this code snippet to the Custom CSS area to center the icon that added by that widget

.social-pinterest > a {
    	background-position: 48% 50% !important;
    }

mjwilson
    Participant

Hi –

Right – the button DOES work on the live site, but it is not working on the demo site!

Same theme, not acting the same!

I will try the code and let you know if it helps.

Thanks.

mjwilson
    Participant

Ok. Just tried the code on the dev site, and the Pinterest logo is showing now, and it is centered, but it is not the “correct” logo! If you refresh the page, the correct logo shows for a moment, until it disappears again.

The Pinterest logo is much whiter and bolder than how it shows on the dev site.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hi,

But your live site doesn’t have a pinterest widget in the sidebar that causes this problem on another one.

mjwilson
    Participant

You’re right! I missed that!

I went and added the Pinterest code to the live website and it broke the icon on the regular blog page AND the post pages.

This is what Pinterest gives you to add as code for their widget:

Copy and paste this code into your page where you want your add-on to appear:

Don’t forget to include pinit.js once per page, right before the closing </BODY> tag.
    <script async defer src=”//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js”></script>

I just added the second line of code (pinit.js) to the bottom of the first code, in the widget area. I don’t know where else to put it?! They say include it “once per page, right before the closing </BODY> tag.

So the code in the widget looks like this:

<script async defer src=”//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js”></script>

mjwilson
    Participant

Why is the code not showing? I entered it above?!

I will add the code Pinterest gave me in a PDF file and will attach that.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you want to put it right before the </body> tag you can find it in the file footer.php.

Regards

mjwilson
    Participant

Hello – Changed out that Pinterest code, took it out of the widget and put it before the </HEAD> tag and that didn’t help anything. The Pinterest icon in the blog posts still shows the small “P” in the icon and not the correct one.

When you first click on a blog post, the correct “P” shows for an instant, and then reverts to the small “p”.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But the problem comes with the widget you are using in the sidebar. And the only one way to solve it is to disable that widget. Sorry, but we can’t change this behavior since it doesn’t depend on our theme at all.

mjwilson
    Participant

I just tried adding that Pinterest code in the live site, in the footer.php as you suggested, and it gave me this error code: “Unable to communicate back with site to check for fatal errors, so the PHP change was reverted. You will need to upload your PHP file change by some other means, such as by using SFTP.”

WHAT is that all about?!

This “widget” comes directly from Pinterest for their own feed. I have used this same widget/feed on older versions of my website, so why wouldn’t it work with yours, or why would it cause errors elsewhere?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

1. We don’t know since we are not responsible for any 3rd party code that you add to your website.

2. Yes, we know that it is a pinterest widget and as you can see it adds its own JS scripts that change the appearance of our theme’s icon. Obviously, we are not able to change the script that comes with that widget. All we can do is just to try to make it look a bit better with CSS code that we already gave you. What else can we do for you regarding this point?

mjwilson
    Participant

1. I realize that it’s not your code, but since Pinterest is such a huge platform, one would think that their code should work on themes?

2. The CSS code you provided didn’t help either, but I appreciate the help offered.

It just sucks that we can’t use the widget supplied directly by Pinterest, because it breaks your theme.

mjwilson
    Participant

I just went to remove the Pinterest code, out of the footer.php (where you told me to put it) and I am getting the same error code:

“Unable to communicate back with site to check for fatal errors, so the PHP change was reverted. You will need to upload your PHP file change by some other means, such as by using SFTP.”

The Pinterest text/code DID delete so do I have to do anything else?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

If the code is deleted, then you don’t need to do anything else.

The code we give you works correctly now, but try to replace it with this one for better effect

.social-pinterest > a {
            background-size: 24px 24px!important;
    }

mjwilson
    Participant

That new code didn’t change anything on the dev site. I deleted the email icon and now the little “p” shows, left justified, and when you refresh the page, you will see the “correct” Pinterest icon, for a second, and then it just goes back to the left justified small logo.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

You inserted a wrong code, not the one we gave you here https://gyazo.com/e40d946ccc2179b48d0f50bec622ad75

mjwilson
    Participant

I DID insert the correct code. I don’t know where you are looking but here is a screen shot of it, on the dev site, loaded correctly.

I did NOT load it on the live site.

It also doesn’t work…..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Even in your screenshot, the code is wrong. Here is a right one

.social-pinterest > a {
            background-size: 24px 24px!important;
    }
Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)