Home Forums WoodMart support forum Adding custom Taxonomy to WooCommerce filters

Adding custom Taxonomy to WooCommerce filters

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

sarahhellems
    Participant

Hi, I’m organizing the products in my store by custom taxonomies rather than by “attributes” – I’d like to be able to use the filters you have set up, especially the sidebar widget WOODMART WooCommerce Layered Nav. Is it possible for me to tweak the code so that I can add the taxonomy “producttype” rather than using “attribute”?

Hello,

The filters work only with attributes. So, even if you create a product type custom taxonomy it will not be filtered. Why don’t you create an attribute “Product type” with items inside?

Best Regards

sarahhellems
    Participant

I would, but we have about 650 different product types. I’m using WP AllImport to import and update our 2200 products, and I can map their product types to certain taxonomies but I don’t see “Attributes” listed as a taxonomy anywhere. Is it something different than that? Any other way you can think of to be able to use these as filters?

Hello,

Unfortunately, we are not able to give any advice in this question. You will need to find a plugin. We have not practiced such an issue before as it is not related to our theme options thus we cannot recommend you anything appropriate.

Best Regards

plusinternet
    Participant

It is related to your theme. Your theme is an ECOMMERCE theme that doesn’t facilitate the importing of product data.

If every feature on the website cannot be used via data import then the theme is failing.

It’s very frustrating to see these cool features yet we cannot use them because you seem to think companies will spend 100’s of hours manually building out the website.

Tell me one successful ecommerce website that doesn’t use product importing to manage its product catalog

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But products data structure and attributes come with WooCommerce and not related to our theme at all. Our filters widgets are the same as WooCommerce ones. So if you will be able to adapt WooCommerce to your custom taxonomies needs then our theme will work with all your changes as well. Our theme doesn’t have any influence here. Yes, it is an eCommerce theme but all data organization are related to WooCommerce plugin, not to our theme or any other themes on ThemeForest.

plusinternet
    Participant

I understand and you’re right. Woodmart is the best e-commerce theme I’ve used. I was a long time user of Flatsome but I’ve made the switch and really think the potential for Woodmart is huge. Your updates seem to come quickly with plenty of new features.

The ONLY issue I have is that I cannot import the CUSTOM attribute information for the product variation images and it is really frustrating.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But why you don’t want to use product attributes instead of custom taxonomy? Your request will require a lot of customization in the WooCommerce and our theme.

plusinternet
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean.

I import all of my products and variations (including images). The ONLY way I can display variation thumbnails on the product page, homepage and category page is by manually editing the Colour attribute and adding the variation image for every single term.

I also have to tick a box to enable them.

These are custom fields that Woodmart has implemented.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

They are standard terms meta and stored in the WordPress database as well as all other taxonomy terms meta. So you need to ask your import plugin’s developers how to fill these fields as well.

plusinternet
    Participant

plusinternet
    Participant

I am using the import feature in WP-ALL-IMPORT called “taxonomies” and it is trying to auto detect the custom fields (see attached screenshot).

Could you help me identify the Name of the two fields in the other attached screenshot?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

We don’t see them in the list. Their keys are not_dropdown, image and color.

plusinternet
    Participant

I’ll give them a try later, we could be onto something here Artem! Thank you!

Could I make a suggestion? Look at setting up a private Facebook group for theme users. Flatsome uses a private Facebook group and its a fantastic way to get the community working together to solve issues. Obviously, your existing moderators/staff can oversee the posts and content on Facebook etc.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Thank you for the suggestion!

plusinternet
    Participant

FYI, I have been able to import all of my product data and attribute term meta using WP-ALL-IMPORT. Thank you for your help and assistance!

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

We are glad to hear that! Could you please write in a few words how did you do that?

plusinternet
    Participant

I add all of the product data into a Google Sheet and import into Woocommerce using WP-ALL-IMPORT and their Woocommerce addon.

This can be set to automatically pull in the product data using a CRON job or WP-ALL-IMPORT has a $9 subscription that will manage the auto import.

I re-import the Google Sheet but this time select TAXONOMIES as the type of content I wish to import, I select my Colour attribute from the list, if the attribute isn’t showing, add it by going to Products > Attributes.

There is a section that allows you to add custom fields to the import (it tries to detect them but it doesn’t pick up the Woodmart fields). Add them manually.. “not_dropdown” and “image” and link them to the two relevant columns in the Google Sheet.

“not_dropdown” needs to be set to “1” in order to tick/enable the option. The “image” field needs to be a direct URL to the image file.

Hope that all makes sense, let me know if you require further clarification.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Thank you for posting your solution here 🙂

Kind Regards

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Adding custom Taxonomy to WooCommerce filters’ is closed to new replies.