Home Forums WoodMart support forum How to properly use the GTIN field?

How to properly use the GTIN field?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

getimo
    Participant

Hello,

in our shop every product has a SKU (for internal use) and a EAN (something like UPC in US or ISBN for books). I noticed the GTIN field (which I think is a general word for these type of product numbers) and I wonder how to use it correctly.

When editing a product I can insert the EAN number into the GTIN field. But then I would end up with hundreds of product attributes saved. And a product attribute doesn’t make sense since every product has its own unique EAN number.

I hope you understand and can explain how to use that field correctly for that purpose.

Thank you

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

This option comes with WooCommerce plugin and we don’t have any documentation for that. You need to look into the plugin FaQs or documentation for more information about this. But we guess that this field is for internal use only since it is not displayed on the frontend by default.

Kind Regards

getimo
    Participant

I couldn’t find any official documentation on that field at woocommerce.com. Are you sure that the GTIN field is installed by woocommerce?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

You can check it with default WordPress theme and see that it is not related to our theme.

getimo
    Participant

Ok, I’ve found a solution. For others: GTINs (Global Trade Item Numbers) including UPC, EAN, and ISBN are globally recognized unique identifiers for products. Woocommerce is the only shop system which doesn’t provide a field for that – hard to believe. It is getting more complicated when using variable products and even more complicated when publishing a Google product feed for example.

Solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncHUuSJK0Y

TL;DR

1. Install WC Field Factory
    2. Create dynamic fields (EAN, UPC etc.)
    3. Assign them in your product feed

Thread can be marked as solved.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Great, thank you for sharing your solution here 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to properly use the GTIN field?’ is closed to new replies.