Home Forums WoodMart support forum AMP compatibility

AMP compatibility

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

skizzemx
    Participant

I was looking for ways to accelerate our woodmart store in mobile devices, and found about the AMP for WordPress iniciative (https://amp-wp.org/) This plugin works out of the box really cool. Woodmart right now is not fully compatible with the plugin and I was wondering if there are any plans of compatibility in the near future. That would totally be a game changer. our store jumped from 17% up to 64% at pagespeed by just installing it. Imagine what it could achieve if the theme was fully compatible.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Have you tested how this tool works with a standard WordPress theme? Also, does it work well with WooCommerce and all shopping functionality like products, cart, checkout etc.? What compatibility issues did you face with our theme?

Kind Regards

skizzemx
    Participant

The AMP plugin offers three template modes, which determine the kind of AMP experiences a given site can provide:

Standard AMP mode: In this mode the plugin enables sites to have AMP as the only version of their content. That is, in this mode there are no separate AMP-specific URLs on the site; the entire site will be served as AMP (demo screencast, example site), and there won’t be an ?amp query parameter appended to any URL.

Transitional (formerly Paired) AMP-non-AMP mode: In this mode themes can register support for AMP, effectively enabling sites to reuse their theme’s templates and styles in both the AMP and non-AMP content. Site owners have the option of delivering AMP and non AMP experiences with the same look-and-feel, avoiding disrupting the brand experience for the end users. In this mode the ?amp query param is used exclusively for the AMP version.

Reader (formerly Classic) AMP-non-AMP mode: The classic behavior of earlier versions of the AMP plugin was to serve AMP responses in basic templates (with that blue bar at the top) which are separate from the templates in your active theme. The experience in this case is delivered via in a simplistic manner (i.e. simplified theme layout and contents). In this mode, the URLs for AMP posts normally end in /amp/ whereas for pages they end in ?amp (and in both cases the “amp” slug can be customized to be something else).

An important feature in v1.0 of the plugin is the ability of granularly selecting which templates in the template hierarchy of a site should be served as AMP and which should not. This way, site owners can prioritize the efforts to make their site fully AMP compatible.

There may be scenarios where the user experience for a given post content requires the addition of a component that is not AMP compatible. In this case the user has two options:

Reject the sanitization actions of the plugin. By doing this the plugin will flag the error and will ensure that the non-AMP version of the post is served (no AMP validation errors will surface in Search Console).
    Opt-out of AMP for that particular post by simply toggling the “Enable AMP” switch on the post edit screen sidebar
    This allows users to select posts that can have specific AMP-incompatible content without disrupting the overall AMP strategy of the site.

The AMP plugin provides the flexibility of combining the described template modes with conditional template support, and granular opt-in for specific pieces of content. These combinations yield two additional modes which can be seen as hybrid modes: Mixed with Some Content in Transitional mode (AMP/non-AMP) & Mixed with Some AMP-only Content Only and some non-AMP only Content

In the first mode all content on the site is available in non-AMP mode, and some of the content is also available in paired AMP/non-AMP mode. And the same theme templates are used in all cases.

In the second mode all the content there is only one version of the content, either AMP or non-AMP; that is, the AMP and non-AMP content sets are disjoint.

I haven’t tried it in a standard wordpress theme (I will) but in Woodmart worked pretty great using Mixed with Some Content in Transitional mode (AMP/non-AMP).

It didn’t affect the woocommerce pages at all letting them as they are on the default mobile versions.

It did accelerated the loading times in mobile devices, but not completely since Woodmart is not AMP-first. I’ll try using one of the themes that they show in the site as AMP- first and see how it affects woocommerce pages.

I’ll keep you posted to see how it works on a AMP.first website.

skizzemx
    Participant

Just found out, there’s another plugin that allow the conversion of the website to a Progressive Web App, and it also interacts with this amp-wp plugin. Here’s the link: https://wordpress.org/plugins/pwa/

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you very much for posting your observation here. Contact us if you will have any further information.

Kind Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)