Home Forums WoodMart support forum Migration from old theme to Woodmart (how to to about quickly)

Migration from old theme to Woodmart (how to to about quickly)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

nbwpascal
    Participant

Hello, Just bought the theme but quickly realised that the migration from my current e-commerce website (although tiny and simple, with only 15 items for purchase) will be tedious and complex with Woodmart. It might take days easily to get everything right. What is the quickest way to get my site back up and running ? Unfortunately, I don’t have time fiddling around putting everything in place. And that seems the only way to go when browsing through the Woodmart documentation. I just want my business back up and running as soon as possible. Just want to get the ‘Lookbook’ theme into place with the items for purchase currently on site. Which approach to take please ?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you for choosing our theme and contacting us.

The best option for you will be to create a fresh WordPress installation and import our dummy content for the lookbook version firstly. Then, you just create (or export/import) products from your previous website.

Kind Regards
    XTemos Studio

nbwpascal
    Participant

So what you’re saying is that i should basically tear down my production website and start from scratch rebuilding another one with your dummy content, settings everything straight and then importing my products while crossing my fingers ? Isn’t that a too quick fix from your side ? Why can’t i just simply install the theme from the WP dashboard over the existing one ? What happens then ? It all seemed so easy while live previewing at Themeforest…. Disappointed here. Pleas provide an alternative ?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But it is not possible to know how the website will look after you will activate our theme on the live website since we are not aware of any plugins, widgets, shortcodes or maybe some customizations in code made on it. If you want to make it look as the live preview on ThemeForest then you just need to import our dummy content on the fresh WordPress installation. This information is described in our documentation and it is the natural way how any WordPress theme on Themeforest work. So as an alternative, you can install our theme to the existing website but we are not responsible for any issues that may be caused by your previous website code, settings, content etc. Of course, we will help you with all the problems that will be related to our theme. But if you are asking about the safest way, then it should be made as we described previously. Also, it is not necessary to do this on your live website. We suggest you duplicate it on your server and do all the work there. Then, you will be able to transfer newly developed website instead of your existing one. Contact us when you will have any additional questions.

nbwpascal
    Participant

I have no customisation code whatsoever on the site nor in the theme. I currently have an installed theme, with Woocommerce and WPML. If i install the Woodmart theme over it, with all required plugins (except Woocommerce since it is already installed, with products setup and working) and importing dummy content that comes with the theme could that yield to a a somewhat satisfying result ? Just asking.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Yes, you can do this but the dummy content should be imported on a fresh wordpress installation. There a lot of ID conflicts may occur. For example, our page called “Home Watches” have ID 589 and you have some page with the same ID created previously. Then, the page “Home watches” will not be imported at all. That is why we don’t suggest to import the dummy content on your current website but start with a new one instead.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)