Home Forums Basel support forum Site broken after automatic update from 5.5.1 to 5.6.1

Site broken after automatic update from 5.5.1 to 5.6.1

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

ataub2qf
    Participant

I tried the automatic update via Envato Market on the staging site from Basel Theme version 5.5.1 to 5.6.1.

However there are many bugs after the update (we are using a child theme).

To fix this, I did the following
    – reinstall and activate plugin “basel post types”
    – update wp bakery via ftp (other support ticket, as this was bound to the live subdomain)
    – export settings from live page and import settings on staging page (replacing live subdomain with staging subdomain)

This fixed most of the bugs, but there are still significant changes.

How should those updates be executed, so that everything stays the same? 🙃

Thanks

Hello,

Please insert the site admin access into the Private content below the message area. We will take a closer look at the case.

Please provide the pages and screen of the problem or steps to reproduce the issue.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

I have uploaded some information, including a recording of the updates and the comparison between those two pages.

Mostly my client feels, that the update did not work, as I had to fix all the things you see in the video and it is still different then the current live page.

ataub2qf
    Participant

As the system disallowed json, here the same files again pasted into the private field

Hello,

We are sorry you have faced the issue.

We would recommend updating the theme in WordPress installation, in the Dashboard > Appearance > Themes, and making sure the theme has been updated.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Hi,

it is exactly the same.

– duplicated the live page to staging
    – Updated the theme via Dashboard > Appearance > Themes

Same error. See attached video.

Hello,

Please insert the site admin access into the Private content below the message area. We will take a closer look at the case.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Was already posted before, but please find it here again.

Hello,

Could you kindly double-check the access to the staging site?

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Just checked. Working.

Maybe a space at the beginning or end was copied unintentionally?

Hello,

I tried to update Woocommerce on the staging site and got a critical error.

It seems something is configured wrongly on your host. Please contact the host support and let them check logs and detect the reason for any update.

Please let us know as soon as you get the feedback from your host.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Hi,

this issue was now taken care of and should not stand in your way anymore.

Alex

Hello,

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Thanks for reopening this ticket.

You can continue your checks. Thx.

Hello,

You should have updated all the plugins, then deactivate all except theme-related plugins. In addition, you need to delete CMB2 and Redux Framework. These plugins were used for the old version and no more need for the recent version moreover they are harmful to the recent version.

I have updated all the plugins and updated the theme. You need to configure the logo and other options in the Header. You will also need to configure Instagram.

Instagram has changed the integration process now the only API is available, please read and follow the instruction on how to configure that: https://xtemos.com/docs-topic/how-to-setup-instagram-api-2/

It was not possible to update the theme in any other way, unfortunately, If you have any problems, deactivate the plugins not related to the theme and switch to the parent theme.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Was this done live? 🙈 Can you revert that? Should first work on the staging site 🙈

Hello,

I have updated the live site, you can try to export the theme settings from the staging site and import them into the live site.

You can do that in the Theme Settings > Import/Export.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Ok, that was not cool. The staging site showed the errors I meanted and you updated the live page, so we had neither the running live page, nor the staging site in a manner that was correct.

I had to fix most of this yesterday and today, so my client does not loose revenue. And I am still working to resolve the last things, that broke with that update.

I don’t understand why you updated the live page without fixing the staging page first :/

ataub2qf
    Participant

The issue is, that there have been already orders in the meantime. So we can’t just restore a backup.

As we can’t do anything in this issue right now, you can close this. Thx

ataub2qf
    Participant

Or maybe you can check the menu? It does not work anymore since the update. Especially on mobile.

Hello,

You enabled CMB2 and Template Library and Redux Framework. Please disable and delete them, update all the plugins and check how it works.

The mentioned plugins are harmful for the theme.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Actually both plugins have already habe disabled. I now also deleted them. Did not change anything.

Also all other plugins (that have nothing to do with this theme) have been updated.

Just to be sure: I am ow only talking about the live page, as the staging page became already useless.

So still the mobile menu is not functional after the theme update anymore.

Hello,

Please make the full backup of your site I will try to move the settings from the staging site.

Please provide the page URL and which blocks do not work on mobile.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

As you already know, the staging page is also broken, as you have update both.

Sorry, but this does not work at all. Need to hire someone to fix this :/

You can close thise here.

Hello,

I check both sites and I see the sites have changed since the update: https://gyazo.com/5797c41ef4c088323eda125c4718562b

Have you already attracted someone? If you have not yet, please provide details I will configure for free.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Hi,

I managed to get close the website close the working version before the update.

So live and staging site are now on the status before the update from the theme standpoint.

Thanks for the offer. You can perform the update on the staging page. If it works there, we can move everything to the live page.

Hello,

1. Please make the full backup of your site.

2. Switch to the default theme Twenty twenty-two.

3. You will see two parent themes, delete the old one.

4. Upload ZiP with the recent version.

5. Update all the plugins in the Appearance > Install plugins.

6. You will see the option to update the theme, update.

These steps I took on your staging site. Please check.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for the update!

Regarding your steps:
    ad 3) Why should there be 2 parent themes before uploading? Or did you mean 2 basel themes (parent and child) or should this step be after step 4?

Unfortunately the staging page does not really look like the live page in some aspects. Maybe you have checked the cached version? I just cleared the WP Rocket cache.

The first things I noticed:
    – menu missing
    – header content different
    – footer missing
    – slider images different
    – search bar at the bottom instead of header
    – double add to wishlist “Auf die Wunschliste” “Add to wishlist” eg https://stag.feenstaub.at/produkt/schulzeit/schule-kindergarten-start/4-windlichthuellen-einschulungsparty-kerzen/
    – weird chinese like symbols in breadcrumbs bar (back, forward, …)
    – left sidebar menu does not stay open eg https://stag.feenstaub.at/produktkategorie/babys/meilensteinkarten/ and is not clickable anymore
    – Hover styles changed in product gallery

Alex

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

1. When I updated the theme, there were two parent themes, you need to leave one parent theme, then upload the ZIP with the recent version.

– menu missing == Please assign menu as “Main menu” in the Appearance > Menu
    – header content different == You need to add this content in the Theme Settings > Header > Top header.
    – footer missing == you need to add the HTML block for the footer into Appearance > Widgets

– slider images different — please provide the page URL
    – search bar at the bottom instead of header === please disable all the plugins not related to the theme
    – double add to wishlist “Auf die Wunschliste” “Add to wishlist” eg —https://stag.feenstaub.at/produkt/schulzeit/schule-kindergarten-start/4-windlichthuellen-einschulungsparty-kerzen/ === staging site does not have two wishlists, we will check the live after the update.
    – weird chinese like symbols in breadcrumbs bar (back, forward, …) — please provide page URL
    – left sidebar menu does not stay open eg https://stag.feenstaub.at/produktkategorie/babys/meilensteinkarten/ and is not clickable anymore —– please provide the page URL
    – Hover styles changed in the product gallery — please provide the page URL.

Best Regards

ataub2qf
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

A) menu missing == Please assign menu as “Main menu” in the Appearance > Menu
    Done. Working

B) header content different == You need to add this content in the Theme Settings > Header > Top header.
    Actually this was also a menu thing and the Top header content was empty live and staging. But working now.

C) footer missing == you need to add the HTML block for the footer into Appearance > Widgets
    I reorganized the widgets like the are one the live page. Don’t know, why they switched places… Working now.

D) slider images different — please provide the page URL
    The main start page. See also the attached screenshot slider.png

D) search bar at the bottom instead of header === please disable all the plugins not related to the theme
    That has actually nothing to do with that. They switched positions between the given widget areas. I reogized that now. Working.

E) double add to wishlist “Auf die Wunschliste” “Add to wishlist” eg —https://stag.feenstaub.at/produkt/schulzeit/schule-kindergarten-start/4-windlichthuellen-einschulungsparty-kerzen/ === staging site does not have two wishlists, we will check the live after the update.
    Actually the staging site does have 2 wishlists. See on the url and the attached screenshot wishlist.png. But this is probably due, because there is also a wishlist plugin installed and the theme update did forget the setting about disabling its wishlist (like many other settings).

F) weird chinese like symbols in breadcrumbs bar (back, forward, …) — please provide page URL
    Actually on every product page. See eg the above mentioned https://stag.feenstaub.at/produkt/schulzeit/schule-kindergarten-start/4-windlichthuellen-einschulungsparty-kerzen/ or the attached screenshot signs.png. Additonally see https://stag.feenstaub.at/produktkategorie/babys/meilensteinkarten/ or signs2.png.

G) left sidebar menu does not stay open eg https://stag.feenstaub.at/produktkategorie/babys/meilensteinkarten/ and is not clickable anymore —– please provide the page URL
    I don’t understand what you mean, as the requested url is already listed here – also in your reply. See additionally sidebar.png

H) Hover styles changed in the product gallery — please provide the page URL.
    Actually every gallery url. The last time the background was black on hover instead of transparent. Now it is only a little different.
    See eg https://stag.feenstaub.at/produktkategorie/babys/meilensteinkarten/ or screenshots gallery-live.png and gallery-staging.png

But what I don’t get. Why did the update break all this? This should not happen, right? Would be a real pain if that happens on every update.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)