Home Forums WoodMart support forum Translation of default theme text, then to another language: Loco + WPML?

Translation of default theme text, then to another language: Loco + WPML?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

EI_Studios
    Participant

Hi,

I want to translate the default theme texts of Woodmart to Dutch (NL), as the WordPress default language is also Dutch. Later, I want to translate the Dutch texts to English with WPML. I read that WPML cannot translate source strings of themes (only with a workaround, which is not great when you want to translate many texts).
    What is the best strategy?
    1) First translate theme strings from English to Dutch with Loco Translate
    2) Remove Loco, then install WPML and translate all content (including theme strings) from Dutch to English?
    OR
    1) Not use Loco at all, but only use WPML
    2) Use WPML workaround to translate theme strings from English to Dutch
    3) When done, use WPML to translate ALL content from Dutch to English

With any solution, I need to be sure that when updating Woodmart in the future, all translations are kept. Please could you also include info on how to make sure translations are not deleted during updates? I am using a child theme already.

Hello,

Thank you very much for choosing our theme and for contacting us.

If you want to have two languages in the end: English and Dutch, you would better install WPML, and create the Dutch translation to avoid double work.

As far as I follow your purpose you do not need Loco at all.

Best Regards

EI_Studios
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I want to have 2 languages in the end, English and Dutch. I understand that I only need WPML for this and do not need Loco Translate at all. However, you say I should start creating the Dutch translation, but I started writing the website in Dutch and therefore now already have many pages in Dutch. So, I cannot start translating into Dutch. The only option (as far as I see it) is to localize the English theme strings into Dutch, then translate from Dutch to English. Please advise. Also let me know how to keep WPML translations when updating the theme.

Hello,

If you now have the moisture in the default English, the only option is what you consider is: s to localize the English theme strings into Dutch, then translate from Dutch to English

If you have a pure English site, you would better make a Dutch translation and then switch the default language in WPML, you need to do it carefully, it may mix transitions. If you hesitate, you can also consult WPML support.

Best Regards

EI_Studios
    Participant
      OK. So I need to start with Loco Translate, localize the English theme strings into Dutch, then use WPML to translate from Dutch to English, correct?
      Do I need to remove Loco after I finished translating (before I use WPML)?
      Please could you also include info on how to make sure translations are not deleted during updates? I am using a child theme already.

Hello,

You can delete Loco after you finish. Make sure you have properly saved the transaction Here is a video tutorial that should help you translate your website texts with a Loco Translate plugin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3NsDdMzsls&list=PLMw6W4rAaOgKKv0oexGHzpWBg1imvrval&index=3

Please check the video tutorial to see how to save the translation file correctly. You can remove the plugin and translations would remain. Also, translations would remain after each theme update.

As for the steps in WPML translation, you would better decide the order and strategy.

Best Regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)