Home Forums Basel support forum Use of the Child Theme

Use of the Child Theme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ArnetteYves
    Participant

Hello,

As I understand parent and child themes, typically, it’s best practice to make changes and customizations to the child theme rather than the parent theme. This prevents changes from being overwritten by updates on the parent theme. I noticed you all provide a child theme, but from what I’m reading in the topic notes you’re instructing users not to use it. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I have a few questions:
    1. Why is the child theme provided? Should it be used? If so, what would it be used for?

2. Based on the installation guide, it doesn’t specify between the parent and the child theme. Should the parent be used?

3. If the parent should be used and updates are made to the parent will they override the configuration changes?

Note, I understand the importance of backing-up the files. Beyond use of the back-up, what happens when the parent theme is updated?

Hello,

Thank you very much for choosing our theme and for contacting us.

Here you can get all the information on the child themes and cases when they are required https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/

So, as you can see, the child theme is required if you change theme functions. The parent theme is compulsory, the child theme would not work without the parent. If you use the child theme you need to update the parent theme and all the customization would remain the same.

It does not include, however, the Theme Settings, including Custom JS/Custom CSS. When you add the code to these blocks you do not need the child theme to keep the changes in all updates. Provided the correct update, all the theme settings would be saved. https://xtemos.com/docs/basel/update-theme/

Best Regards

ArnetteYves
    Participant

Hello,

This response doesn’t clearly answer the questions I provided. I’ve used plenty of other word press themes and I’m aware of how the parent to child relationships work. As I mentioned in my initial note, there are best practices for using child themes which don’t seem to be present with you all’s product.

The issue: I should be able to make a configuration change on the child theme and it show on the website. This doesn’t happen. I checked other posts and saw you all are telling users to make config changes on the parent. Note, I’m not referring to custom code changes. I’m talking about UI configuration changes, made via the CMS settings made available.

“Using a child theme lets you upgrade/update the parent theme without affecting the customizations you’ve made to your site.

Child themes:

make your modifications portable and replicable;
    keep customization separate from parent theme functions;
    allow parent themes to be updated without destroying your modifications;
    allow you to take advantage of the effort and testing put into parent theme;
    save on development time since you are not recreating the wheel; and
    are a great way to start learning about theme development”

“If you are making extensive customizations – beyond styles and a few theme files – creating a parent theme might be a better option than a child theme.”

Using best practices, I should be able to make configuration (non-code snippet) changes and they be reflected on the site. I would implore you all to revisit your implementation if this isn’t supported.

Hello,

I have provided all the answers to your questions: https://prnt.sc/ppq2b3

I have a few questions:
    1. Why is the child theme provided? Should it be used? If so, what would it be used for?

So, as you can see, the child theme is required if you change theme functions.

2. Based on the installation guide, it doesn’t specify between the parent and the child theme. Should the parent be used?

The parent theme is compulsory, the child theme would not work without the parent.

3. If the parent should be used and updates are made to the parent will they override the configuration changes?

If you use the child theme you need to update the parent theme and all the customization would remain the same.

Besides, I explained the cases where the child theme is applied and where it is not necessary and provided the official source discovering the issue in a whole.

Now you provide all the casesin details when the child theme is necessary. Please clarify what help do you need in the relation of the Basel theme, please be specific, and it would be easier to answer all your questions in full.

Best Regards

ArnetteYves
    Participant

Hello,

“A child theme inherits the look and feel of the parent theme and all of its functions, but can be used to make modifications to any part of the theme.”

You can only activate one theme at a time. The child and parent theme can not be activated at the same time. Not a huge problem because the child theme “inherits” the UI and functions of the parent. That said, I should be able to make changes on the child theme and see them on the website.

Problem: When I attempt to make changes to the colors, width of the headers, alignment, etc. in the child theme they don’t show on the website. No changes made on the child theme change the website. I shouldn’t have to update the parent AND the child theme for the changes to be reflected. When the parent theme is updated, that would erase all the changes anyway. The use of the child theme doesn’t seem to be developed correctly, per best practice.

Hello,

Please deactivate the plugins not relate to the theme, and cache plugins first of all, then change anything in the Theme Settings and check, if you have still the same, please provide your site admin access I will check the settings.

Best Regards

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)