Home Forums WoodMart support forum Woodmart not optimized in database

Woodmart not optimized in database

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

davidgq00
    Participant

Woodmart is creating many unnecessary records in the wp_postmeta table, some of them come because of the custom metabox options when adding a product, although no configuration is changed they are duplicated in the database every time you upload a new product, it should save only the custom configuration if it exists.

I only have about 50 products and my table already has 6,700 fields…
    I don’t even want to imagine how many I will have when I have 300 products loaded.

The optimization problem also comes from the additional options that woodmart puts when adding a menu.
    Although they are left blank, they are created in the database repeating over and over again each time you add an item to the menu …

This is a matter of utmost urgency, it comes from here the problems of optimization of the theme, I have read many complaints from users of woodmart for the slowness of their sites, it comes from this way of storing and using the data.

Please review this carefully and discuss it with your developer group, if you don’t fix this soon, little by little stores that have a multitude of products will sooner or later have to stop using woodmart because their sites will be slow and their databases will end up full of useless files

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

davidgq00
    Participant

It is even storing the empty instagram hashtag field and it is an obsolete function, check it please, tremendous optimization failure in the database …

davidgq00
    Participant

I think it would be enough to create another table to store these additional fields and relate them to the id.

The long-term wp_postmeta size would even be twice as small and msql queries across the entire website would be much faster.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

This problem comes not from our theme directly but from WordPress core. When you save the product it updates all meta fields no matter what values do they have. Even an empty value is needed because you might have a different value before. Here is an example situation: you set some custom sidebar for the page and its meta is updated in the database. Later, you want to remove this custom sidebar and you change it actually to the empty value. If it doesn’t update it in the database (as you suggest) then you wouldn’t be able to return the meta value to the initial state.

Furthermore, your screenshot about the menu items meta shows core WordPress metas and they are not generated by our theme. You can test that the WooCommerce plugin for example also stores empty and NULL values and here is a screenshot https://gyazo.com/6d68e11f7095c52cbe07a2c9c4d99377
    And here is a screenshot from core WordPress menu metas https://gyazo.com/c2a2050bd8c3f911ec5e260529b9438c

But you don’t need to worry about that. Even with millions of records in the postmeta table, your website wouldn’t be slow. And empty metadata wouldn’t take more than 5-8% of the whole table size.

Kind Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)