Home Forums WoodMart support forum Serve Scaled Image after Woocomerce update

Serve Scaled Image after Woocomerce update

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

nephyhlim
    Participant

Hey

i saw people having the same issue and it was fixed here:

https://xtemos.com/forums/topic/serve-scaled-images-use-smaller-images-as-thumbnails/

However after the woocomerce update I cant change the thumbnail size to 65×65. Where can I dod this now?

I get a 0 out of 100 in Gtmetrix; https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.cociparties.de/4rA8tgFb

Also page speed id total is very bad, any suggestions?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hi,

This error means that images loaded on your page are larger than their containers. If it says about product images, then you need to go to Appearance -> Customize -> WooCommerce -> Product images and reduce their width to avoid this warning.

Regards

nephyhlim
    Participant

Hey Artem

the option to do that for the thumbnail images is not there. There are only two, gallery images and single product images. See img attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Yes, unfortunately, WooCommerce removed their option for thumbnails images size. We don’t know why they did that but we are not able to change this in our theme scope also.

nephyhlim
    Participant

Oh that is unfortunate, cant I hardcode it anywhere? It could save me around 300KB according to Gtmetrix.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But you don’t need to do this for your home page. You need to decrease shop catalog images.

nephyhlim
    Participant

Why i already did decrease it to the dimensions of the theme?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

If you still see the warning from GTMetrix, you need to decrease it more.

nephyhlim
    Participant

Hey Artem

sorry this is still not resolved, and your demo themes also have this problem. Is there really no way to fix this?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Did you try to decrease your images sizes? The error clearly states that images are resized with CSS and it means that they are larger than their containers. That is why you need to decrease their width if you want to avoid that warning on GTmetrix. Note that it will not influence your website performance a lot.

nephyhlim
    Participant

Hey Artem

I cant lower it as it would be lower dimension on the shop page. See img attached, both those images use the thumbnail dimensions, which obviously is not a good thing since they vary hugely in size.

The theme creators need to specify certain sizes for the iamges:

woocommerce_thumbnail
    woocommerce_single
    woocommerce_gallery_thumbnail

As written here:

https://github.com/woocommerce/woocommerce/wiki/Customizing-image-sizes-in-3.3#themes-can-define-image-sizes

and here

https://woocommerce.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/wc-3-3-image-size-improvements/

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Of course, our theme uses WooCommerce images size system as per instruction.
    If you don’t want to change your product images globally, you can do this for your home page products element only with WPBakery page builder.

nephyhlim
    Participant

Hey Artem

I would like to have a

-product image with 577×577
    -gallery/shop image with 276×246
    -thumbnail image with 65×65

How can I do this?

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But as we said, thumbnails size were removed in WooCommerce completely.

nephyhlim
    Participant

In the past, theme authors had to make updates to settings directly via update_option calls to change the settings in the DB. This resulted in store owners experiencing issues where they would change image settings in the admin area just to have it revert back to what the theme updates it to on each page load. With WooCommerce 3.3 theme authors can now declare image sizes via the add_theme_support function. Declaring image sizes this way will take priority over any other settings and also hide the image settings section in the admin area.

from

https://woocommerce.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/wc-3-3-image-size-improvements/

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

So what is the reason to hard code images size in the theme if you can specify it in WooCommerce settings?

nephyhlim
    Participant

Where can i adjust ONLY the widget thumbnail size to 65×65 and not change the shop inage sizes to 65×65.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

But there is no such option. And in the article you sent you can see options for single and thumbnails images size only. Not for widget thumbnails. As we said, they removed that option completely. And even if we hardcode the size in our theme, we can’t do this for widget thumbnails.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)