Home Forums WoodMart support forum WPML only plugin needed for translation?

WPML only plugin needed for translation?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ToriTori38
    Participant

Hi there,

I just bought your theme (thanks for the great work) and will need our website to be displayed in 3 languages (English, French and German). I would like to know if I can translate all your theme files just with WPML or do I also need the Loco Translate plugin?

I am trying to keep plugins to an absolute minimum, so if I can translate your theme files using just WPML that would be great for me. Please let me know.

I guess however that where WooCommerce would be concerned, it would make sense to also use Loco translate, as the languages I require already exist.

Any advice appreciated.

BR

Hello,

Thank you very much for choosing our theme and for contacting us.

WPML makes site multilingual and Loso translates the initial strings. You can install Loco, save the translation file in wp-content/languages/themes/woodmart-pt_PT.po folder.

Then delete Loso and use WPML

Best Regards

ToriTori38
    Participant

Hello,

I have just installed Loco translate. However I am not sure where I should save language translations so they are not replaced when I next update WordPress or your theme.

You advised me to save to languages/themes/woodmart-de_DE.po but that is a system folder apparently according to Loco translate (see image below). System folders I believed were at risk from being overwritten by WordPress when you do an update.

Thanks for your help here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ToriTori38
    Participant

This is what Loco translate says on their website. Should we ignore this?

System (possibly unsafe)
    This location is under the global language installation directory (WP_LANG_DIR). Files saved here can be overwritten by WordPress’s own language installer, so don’t save files here unless you’ve disabled automatic translation updates.

Hello,

We suggest you keep translated files in wp-content/languages/themes/woodmart-pt_PT.po folder.

Do not worry your translation would be saved after each upgrade.

Best Regards

ToriTori38
    Participant

Many thanks for your reply.

OK I have done what you said. However when I look at the WooCommerce plugin for example, and where its translatations are saved (which were automatically created) it shows they are saved in: languages/plugins/woocommerce-de_DE.po (which is a location which I believe might be overwritten).

I can via Loco translate choose a new location for these translations (see image attached) and select languages/loco/plugins/woocommerce-de_DE.po

Would that be better? See image attached. Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hello,

Save all the translations for the plugins in wp-content/languages and for the theme in languages/themes/

Best Regards

ToriTori38
    Participant

Hello Elise,

I just need to confirm the location for saving plugins with you. At the moment all plugin translations automatically were added to wp-content/languages/plugins

However you told me to save to wp-content/languages
    So can they stay in wp-content/languages/plugins or do I need to relocate them all to wp-content/languages ?

Thanks for your help!

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Store them in the location suggested by the plugin since we are not responsible for them. The main thing is to store them somewhere under languages/ folder.

ToriTori38
    Participant

Great many thanks

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

You are welcome.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)