Home Forums WoodMart support forum Site Speed on GT Metrix

Site Speed on GT Metrix

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

FireMagic
    Participant

Hi,

Our team purchased your website template and is currently in the process of building out a website. We like the theme, but we are finding that we are scoring exceptionally low on site speed tests. The software or tool we are currently using to gage this score is called GT Metrix.

The report is outlining two areas of improvement, see the performance scores and recommendations from the software below. We know your theme already supports retina images and is already optimized for mobile, but we are still getting a failing score in this area. It appears that the way GT Metrix reads your code is causing these tests to fail. Do you know if there are plans to review the scaled image code so it functions in a way that passes these site speed tests? We believe this would be a huge improvement and would put this theme ahead of competitors. Let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Figure 1: Performance Report
    (See screenshot 1)

Figure 2: Recommendations
    (See screenshot 2)
    >GT Metrix: https://gtmetrix.com/
    >Serving scaled images: Serving appropriately sized images can save many bytes of data and improve the performance of your webpage, especially on low-powered (eg. mobile) devices.
    >Defer parsing of JavaScript: In order to load a page, the browser must parse the contents of all <script> tags, which adds additional time to the page load. By minimizing the amount of JavaScript needed to render the page, and deferring parsing of unneeded JavaScript until it needs to be executed, you can reduce the initial load time of your page.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you so much for purchasing our theme and contacting our support center.

Serving scale images notice from GTmetrix says that you have some images that are loaded much larger then they are used. You need to review these images, find them on your website and change the size with WPBakery page builder elements or via WordPress settings, if they are related to blog or/and products.
    Defer JS problem we solve using WP Rocket cache plugin on our demo and it is fully compatible with our theme.

Kind Regards
    XTemos Studio

FireMagic
    Participant

Hi, yes it appears that GT Metrix does not read the current code. We have provided recommended items that we can ask to the Theme Author to help our website pass the site speed test:

Serving Scaled Images

>Is it possible to create custom sizes for the srcset for serving scaled images.
    (See attached screenshot)

>Make Image code support both server scaled and retina image.

So that images can be properly sized depends on the container/browser size, and at the same time they are Retina (crisp) image

>Ability to customize code for images.

>Change the actual size of the Instagram images being loaded in Instagram carousel.

GTMetrix is complaining about images in Instagram carousel that are not server scaled. We can’t edit the code for those images because it came from an Instagram plugin.

Defer Parsing of Javascript files

>Add code in functions.php to defer parse javascript files.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

Your screenshot shows the image from the banner, not from Instagram. You can edit this element with WPBakery page builder and change the size for that. Srcsets are generated automatically by WordPress core and our theme has no influence on them.
    Instagram images size can be set with WPBakery page builder too. Note that Instagram API doesn’t provide an option to resize them to exact size. And very often, images can have only one large size at all and can’t be resized.

Kind Regards

FireMagic
    Participant

Thank you. We see the Instagram image size settings on WPBakery. We can resize those images but just limited to Medium, Thumbnail, and Large. Setting the instagram image size to Medium will help the GTMetrix site speed score but just with a small margin but, it will still complain for those images not being serve scaled (properly sized).

36styles
    Participant

I had my doubts at first too, seeing others posting about slow load times, but after utilizing WP Rocket and Short Pixel to resize images automatically, I have achieved very good results. I also recently moved my site from Inmotion to Cloudways, and this has made a big difference as well.

My site is currently in maintenance mode, but I took it off of maintenance mode to run some test with GTMetrix, here are the results:

https://imgur.com/zpQH7hP

My home page has a log of images, carousels, image hotspot, testimonial, contact form, banners, etc.

Artem Temos
    Keymaster

Hello,

As we mentioned, there are only a few images sizes provided by Instagram and we can’t change the way it works. If you want, you can replace the Instagram element with a simple Images Gallery that comes with our theme and there you can set any image size in pixels.

Kind Regards

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)